You've snagged yourself a date with someone you're interested in and then… aarrgghhhh what to wear on a first date???
You don't want to frighten him off by being too over dressed, you don't want him thinking you're a slob by wearing something too casual… you're asking yourself if you can bothered with all the effort, and if actually you'd rather be single and wow actually, being a cat lady really appeals now you think about it because you like cats and… I don't need to go on, I think you know how it all goes 🙂 but worry not, there are some great websites out there with top tips for first date outfits.
If you're going out on more than your fair share of first dates you've got an even bigger problem; not only are you now struggling to find somewhere to go that you haven't already been to more times than you'd care to admit, but you're also struggling to find an outfit you haven't already worn to one of those places. Lets face it, you don't want the waiters to recognise you with yet another date, it's already bad enough that your mother thinks you frighten men off…
It can be tricky deciding what to wear on a first date, so I've searched the web for some great ideas to share with you. But, before we dive in, here are my 10 do's and don'ts of first date outfits:
- Don't wear flatties – they might be comfy but you want to feel confident & sexy (a low heel will do)
- Don't wear wedges – men don't like them, they make your feet look like hooves
- If wearing peep-toe shoes, paint those toenails something bright and sassy (& get a pedicure!)
- You can wear jeans so long as they're skinny and dark (no rips, grunge or boyfriend styles)
- Keep makeup subtle, you want him to see how gorgeous you are & you don't want it getting on him 😉
- Show off your figure with something that enhances the best parts of your body
- Don't show too much skin – men like a little mystery
- If you wear your hair down, set it properly – nothing worse than a hair-flicking-first-date-disaster!
- Wear your favourite perfume in moderation – you don't want to asphyxiate him
- Smile, smile, smile – this is the best thing to wear on a first date!
What to wear on a first date:
Now, let's get stuck in, here are a selection of 5 of my favourite first date outfits!
Click the options below to see a photo of each look 🙂
- Skinny jeans, sequin top, blazer and heels
- Soft, pretty dress with fringed suede jacket
- Pencil skirt, white t-shirt/soft blouse, heels
- Little black dress with black & neutral heels and coloured jacket
- Lace mini-skirt, chiffon blouse, heels & great accessories
These won't appeal to every one reading this post but they're a great place to start for inspiration. You can also check out two of my Pinterest boards: First Date Outfits and What to Wear on Dates for more ideas.
If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends. I'd love to know what you wear on your first dates, please share your top tips in the comments below.